Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Singapore and hornbills

All I have in my mind is that “hunger”, “hunger” and nothing else.
Today I made a food, that my mother use to make it very nicely. I forgot many of those things, the warmth of the food made by one’s mother. I know I lost them long back. Leave aside sentimental stuff, I prepared it just fine and enjoyed it.
I had it for brunch (breakfast + lunch – as a part of my dieting regime)
Now I am starving for some dinner, the macaroni is bloody so late in getting cooked.
Let me write about today’s lecture on GIS in marine environment monitoring and management. Interesting – You click something, then you get something amazing.
Anyway I am not a stupid to say that the software is generating something, only when you feed something could you get something, Garbage in, Garbage out, right?
So, I would say it is really amazing watching those screens generating such a clear interface to understand and interpret the available data. I generally do not believe in modeling methods, since they are dependent on too many variables, you alter one of them, you get a completely different scene.
Well, leaving GIS aside, today I bought a Tee from ACRES stall in Central Library. I generally do not like those “Look, I like animals…hey look close man, I am a crazy animal lover..” kind of Tees.
I buy them just to contribute to their activities monetarily.
So I bought one that was pretty simple that bore a Monkey’s diagram behind bars and said that wildlife trade is bad. That’s all.
I also enquired the stall guys about hornbill keeping in Singapore, they said it was not possible. However louis was not there. He seemed to have come after a while and they told me when they met me later that “Singapore allows certain hornbills to be kept as pets”…
Wonderful…What a bullshit! (well, I am not blaming ACRES, I am blaming the CITES list or the appendices, which discriminates species in somewhat unethical way) When India and Malaysia are striving hard and no Indian or Malaysian can own a hornbill (which is their native species) as a pet, just because you have something called “license” or “permit” whatever they call it, they can have a hornbill hopping around their lawn… ridiculous man… I hate this. I think I will have to fight this through
I know Singapore government is stubborn (from what I heard in law lectures), I think it is high time to prevent this “US” attitude of not bothering about other nation’s natural wealth…
I am hot in anger and frustration today, will not write much, since it is a blog – though none read this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home