Susie

I dint own any pet of my own, generally they are stray dogs, cows and monkeys that live along with and share some food and feelings. In the forest, I indeed had some friends. Susie is one among them. She is a very serious kind of dog. When I first stepped inside our field, I never felt the friendliness from her. As usual, it was Mani (another dog) who was very friendly and there is another Jacky (another dog) who is like Pithamagan. He gets very excited when you call him and starts singing like pithamagan "Aah...oahhh..ahhhh....."
The first pic is Jacky on the road with me in the front, the black one is Mani
, freezes on seeing that digital antique and ofcourse the one with belt is Susie (she is not completely rural type, turned out suburban at the end). She is never interested on cameras or lenses unless they smell of meat :-~Susie never liked much human contact and thats the best thing I liked about her. I tried sitting next to her during her lonely morning walks and thats how we established contacts. She never allowed me to pat her or groom her initially. One day she allowed me and I knew I am responsible towards her. She
started trusting me ?!!! She voluntarily came for morning walks and sat along when I watch the peacocks and babblers. Ranju who was my room mate was fortunately an animal lover too for Susie coming inside our room.
She came to field everytime I go inside. Brave and silent accompanier. Jacky is a nasty company to the field, he will get excited on seeing any animal and started moaning and grunting. Mani escapes the moment he smells some animal. Susie is best that way.
I miss her - thats what I wanted to write.
She gave birth to five puppies one fine morning (It was Mani (alpha male), Jacky is beta male)
She never came to us. But we saw the wild dog packs that night and knew that they would finish off the puppies. So me and Eshwar followed Susie to find her hideout and at the end of two hours, we found it safe and secure in a huge pit that is not at all visible. Mani also visited along with us and he squealed and jumped seeing his kids (proud father?). We packed all the puppies in a box and i kept them in my room. Susie fed them and we fed Susie regularly. The puppies were very healthy and looked beautiful. It was such a nice music in the midnight to hear the nibble of the puppies and their soft moans. I got personally attached to Susie. She sometimes gets very nasty and brings bones and meat inside my room, sometimes never bothers about puppies. Ants were coming to bite the puppies and we had to use turmeric and neem to keep them away. It was such a nice feeling to see the little ones.
Soon they grew, walked around and pee-d everywhere. So I showed them way out, they also started roaming into the forests, pulling grasses, watched deers running by, listened to the meows meows of the Peacock with excitation, chewed my shoes and tore my socks like her mother, scared anoop by licking him, irritated Eswar by peeing in his room front and it was like a whole family. finally they were adopted by our field assistants and many people.
Susie was fine and I left India. The last photograph
was on the day when she allowed me to enter into her world on a nice sunrise during a walk to a high plain into the forest.
I am feeling very desperate for an animal company and nature around me.
I can see only towers, buildings, the barges, harbour front and sucking Sentosa in front of my window.
Waiting for the course to get over and step into forests again !!!
started trusting me ?!!! She voluntarily came for morning walks and sat along when I watch the peacocks and babblers. Ranju who was my room mate was fortunately an animal lover too for Susie coming inside our room. She came to field everytime I go inside. Brave and silent accompanier. Jacky is a nasty company to the field, he will get excited on seeing any animal and started moaning and grunting. Mani escapes the moment he smells some animal. Susie is best that way.
I miss her - thats what I wanted to write.
She gave birth to five puppies one fine morning (It was Mani (alpha male), Jacky is beta male)
She never came to us. But we saw the wild dog packs that night and knew that they would finish off the puppies. So me and Eshwar followed Susie to find her hideout and at the end of two hours, we found it safe and secure in a huge pit that is not at all visible. Mani also visited along with us and he squealed and jumped seeing his kids (proud father?). We packed all the puppies in a box and i kept them in my room. Susie fed them and we fed Susie regularly. The puppies were very healthy and looked beautiful. It was such a nice music in the midnight to hear the nibble of the puppies and their soft moans. I got personally attached to Susie. She sometimes gets very nasty and brings bones and meat inside my room, sometimes never bothers about puppies. Ants were coming to bite the puppies and we had to use turmeric and neem to keep them away. It was such a nice feeling to see the little ones.
Soon they grew, walked around and pee-d everywhere. So I showed them way out, they also started roaming into the forests, pulling grasses, watched deers running by, listened to the meows meows of the Peacock with excitation, chewed my shoes and tore my socks like her mother, scared anoop by licking him, irritated Eswar by peeing in his room front and it was like a whole family. finally they were adopted by our field assistants and many people.
Susie was fine and I left India. The last photograph
was on the day when she allowed me to enter into her world on a nice sunrise during a walk to a high plain into the forest. I am feeling very desperate for an animal company and nature around me.
I can see only towers, buildings, the barges, harbour front and sucking Sentosa in front of my window.
Waiting for the course to get over and step into forests again !!!

9 Comments:
Never owned a pet..but had fondness for a street dog when I was young..used to call it tommy..
karthik - generally our parents wont allow to update a stray dog to pet status :-(
kris - oorukku poga mudiyalainnu thaan ivlo polambal :-(
wow... interesting experience... which forest was this??... and how often do u visit these forests??... for some reason, the last snap is just too good... don't they allow pets in singapore?? (u could adopt one, but again same story when u leave that place!!!)
Kr : Thanx :-) This is an elephant corridor in a stretch of western ghats near Kerala - anaikatty hills reserve forest. But the area is covered both inside TN and KL boundaries. You can reach this place through Coimbatore in TN. Singapore - yes there are lots of varieties to adopt, but not allowed in the students' apartments I stay. You know it is not a nice feeling to keep dogs in apartments - no place to run and play around !
looks like thats a place worth visiting... and what u said abt having pets in apts is true...
yes it is very beautiful place. I worked and lived there for an year and that was the best part of my life. If you send your email id to my mail, I can forward you the details, you can drive to Silent Valley from there in an hour.
Grew up with cats as pets & now have a dog so i know exactly what you are going through! well written!
Hi!
The last pic of Susie is really very beautiful. As you said, she looks "brave and silent" in the pic too. Donno why, but she looks like a female possessing a very strong character...a dog of substance.
I too like pets esp. dogs. But we were never allowed to have one coz we neither have the time nor the patience to look after one. My parents would tell me and my brother," First learn to take care of yourself, then think of owning a pet." or "We already have 2 pets. why a third one? "
Once,we had 4 chicks for pets...one by one they died, either taken away by eagles or bitten by some animal.
susubala - Thanx :-)
randomthoughts - Thanx too, dint try keeing both of them ? (cats n dogs) :-)
Deepa - yes, susie is of that kind only-not the "cute, little one" type.
"We already have 2 pets. why a third one? " - :-DDD same story in my home also, still we had five pets totally (3 dogs and one parrot)
Post a Comment
<< Home