Friday, May 13, 2005

Camelot - a personal drama!


I should write about the movie we watched; it was called “Camelot”. It was one of the best ones from Anoop I guess. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. “Camelot”, a name of a kingdom is a personal drama.
The film opens with a dark frame showing a sad silhouette of King Arthur (not well-built), waiting for sunrise and the terrible battle to be fought against his wife’s lover (It’s British stage :-). There were around 10 to 15 songs in that two hours movie. The occasion of the song would be so simple yet blended with complex emotions. The lyrics are so powerful that I was not able to come out of the songs even when it was over. I would like to write down the words from the subtitles if possible. The DVD print was so good that the intricacies of the dress, hair and the dirty but majestic castle affected the viewer’s neurons perfectly. The storyline is pretty serious with a triangular romantic stride. It was a bit irritating too, but very much acceptable and natural.
The power of love between three human beings was has been depicted wonderfully; The king (Arthur alias Wart :-), a great person full of humor, spirit for right (might for right), strong, so common, so passionate about living life, so passionate about his Kingdom “Camelot” (say it loud!) is getting married to a princess full of spirit, passion, beauty, emotions. Both of them long for a peaceful, routine life of a normal man, unlike their royal life, they believe a normal life would be a normal life. (“What do the simple folk do when they are happy… ?)
They live a happy married life, discussing and arriving at dynamic conclusions on building up a society with no wars, and Might should be used only for Right. The “Round Table” is given birth where, a French King Lancelot arrives as a fanatic fan of “Might for right” and thus Arthur too. He becomes the Knight for King Arthur.

The beginning of the End : The free spirit, religious strength, the hasty scent in his movements, his youth, passion draws Queen Guinevere, while her beauty, intelligence, naivety and interest in chivalry makes Lancelot fall in love with the Lady highness (Milady!). The King smells the bloom, yet he loves both of them (“as a brother, I could think only of Lance, as a love, I could think only of Jenny…”). His sense of forgiving impresses the audience intensely that I took time to forgive whom I had hated in this short life and instantly felt ashamed of myself for not having done this earlier itself.

There sprouts the problem adding acridity to the pain undergone by King Arthur, a son of his acts before being a King. He arrives with an obsession about the throne. The story takes an abrupt turn, where the strong bond of affection between the three explicitly protects them from the evil son (hoof… I forgot his name; he was damn villain). Question of love scratches the relationships; She has been already saved by Lance, now what? (Oh, yes his name was Mordred)
War at Lancelot, his own brother for the sake of law… Might for Right is gone….
He is happy he left a successor, a young boy (Tom) who is again a fanatic fan of the “Might for Right” and carries the flag (Excalibur) from then… I felt that was an happy ending…
There would have been no point about quenching the thirsts of a normal viewer – did Lance and Jenny marry, was Arthur killed? There! If I were Meryln, I would have answered this. Bother who was that? He is the Godfather of Arthur (“I shall call you Wart...”), who is very perspicacious and can explain future and past vividly.
It would be doing injustice if I were not writing about the literary richness in the movie. Kudos to the stars; If not for their pronunciation, accent, pitch, facial expression, lip movement, body language the screen script would have produced NIL effect.

The first strong impact on the viewers would be the King Arthur’s character. He rows between self-gratification and maintenance of law and order. He chooses the latter and finds himself in misery. So staying in doom is compromised for breaking rules. Excellent idealism but completely non-existent. This personal drama is believed to have adapted from the novel “Once and the future King”. I was reminded of the philosophy of Albert Cameo, the existentialism. I am a strong believer of existentialism. Every human being exist as a unique living being with an own set of principles. Lest the other individual is going to be hurt or disturbed, this individual is a great man or woman. Even gender is not a matter in existentialism. So King Arthur was right according to existentialism. For that matter, Jenny and Lancelot were also right.
The question of infidelity being right or wrong? There are no scenes with explicit sexuality and everything happens in shrouded shoulders. (This seems to be “A” – for all ages). I wouldn’t have remembered my adolescent days, if I dint enjoy the naughtiness of “It’s May, It’s May, The Lusty Month of May”. The song is full of youth, naughtiness and all that fatal attraction between two sexes. It provides you with a sense of necromancy with the old adolescent days, where a school pupil leader would have come in a black horse in your dream. (In my case, it was absent since I was the school pupil leader… Huh), and I was pretty sure none of my obese class guys can ride a black horse not even a terrain rider for that matter.
Nevertheless, the sets were not eye catching. More natural touch is required, However Music was masking every other lacuna.
Oh, yes I should end this blog and here I am.

Camelot is a movie of choice making

Between self-satisfaction and society;
Between greed and law;
between husband and lover;
between friendship and betrayal;
between peace and war;
between life and death…

Life seems to be full of equilibrium cos none chooses the same. Lance chose “self-satisfaction”, Jenny chose “lover” and Arthur chose “peace”. Together it was a choice for “society”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home